I am loving the current vest trend so much, I’ve compiled a top five list with a vest for every lifestyle and/or occasion. The latest aren’t cropped waistcoats. They are long, lean, and have at least one major detail that makes them feel special. The best vests can stand on their own and come with a myriad of ways of wearing them, since they can be easily seasoned by different personalities. Wear one of these over shorts if you’re a risk-taker or wear yours alone if you are totally risqué. Then change the look completely by layering it over leggings. The possibilities are virtually endless.
1. Alexander McQueen Deconstructed Tailored Long Vest: The deconstructed look is ideal for summer, and it also makes for the perfect transition piece. Button it up for the boardroom or give it grunge appeal with some distressed denim. At Neiman Marcus for $1,352 (from $3,865).
2. Haider Ackermann Tiered Linen-Blend Vest: With its deep V-neckline and multiple curved tiers, this airy vest looks great with minimalist looks and lacy underthings alike. On NET-A-PORTER for $1,360 (for $2,720).
3. Alice + Olivia Estee Embroidered Open-Front Long Vest: Meet the modern update of the flowing caftan. Bohemian types should flock to this embroidered linen piece, at once casual and high-drama. At Neiman Marcus for $898.
4. Alexis Aguilar Wave-Print Long Vest: Consider this summer’s downtown alternative to your favorite blazer. Neutral colors mean it’s versatile, while the element of artsy print brings plenty of intrigue. At Neiman Marcus for $495.
5. Elizabeth and James Hannover West: This knit, topped with softly fringed trim, can be purely functional on a chilly night. Or it can just be the stylistic glue that holds a number of outfits together. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $395.