Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, and it welcomes the official start of the travel season. And that means we need the perfect travel companion: the right bags! This time, it’s on the outside that counts. It doesn’t matter what you pack in the bag (that’s up to you); the real essentials of travel come in the form of style, function, and comfort in the bag itself. Here are my top picks of this season:
1. Balenciaga Classic Traveller Mesh Backpack: The backpack has always reigned supreme when it comes to travel, but thanks to a major upswing in the trend as of late, we have so many options which make carrying one so much more fun. Like this futuristic mesh one by Balenciaga. On My Theresa for $1,635.
2. Loewe Woven Leather Shopper: Speaking of color, Loewe delivers the full spectrum, in their highly recognizable chunky weave, for the Snob who craves more than coffee to perk her up on an early flight. On My Theresa for $2,690.
3. Marni Parachute Leather Backpack: Those who want some color on their back should go for this geometric interpretation. The cushy shoulder straps make for comfortable carrying, and it looks just as good toted by the top handle. On My Theresa for $1,640.
4. Valentino Rockstud Canvas & Leather Camo Tote: For the traditionalist, the big, open tote cannot possibly get better than a camouflage-print canvas Valentino. It’s classic, it’s roomy, and it sits right at your side. At Nordstrom for $2,495.
5. Dareen Hakim L’Attaché Backpack: Not only is this bag simply amazing – with the simplicity heightened by Dareen’s signature metal-hardware plaque – but we have an exclusive discount code for 15% off (which includes everything on the site; not just this backpack). Enter 15PCT4BAGSNOB to receive yours. At Dareen Hakim for $475.
1. Anya Hindmarch In-Flight Travel Bag: I must have hydrating products with me on each and every flight. Which means I must have the right case for carrying them. This one is cute, compact, and allows you to see and find exactly what you need without riffling around desperately. On MATCHESFASHION.com for $228.
2. Travelon Luggage Deluxe Packable Shelves: I LOVE this thing. It will change the way you travel and the way you pack. Hang it in your closet while packing, instead of throwing things in a pile in and around your suitcase (which is especially handy if you’re packing days in advance and don’t want that cluttered mess hanging around). You keep shirts, pants, and other garments organized on each shelf, reserving the zippered compartment for lingerie and bathing suits. When you’re done, drop it in your suitcase (it fits perfectly in carryon size) and then when you arrive, pull it out, and hang it up. You’ll have a traveling armoire all perfectly intact. On Amazon for $32.