Dr. Victoria Veytsman, owner of Cosmetic Dental Studios, knows a thing or two about the importance of a bright, white smile. Not only is she one of the most well-known dentists in New York City (she graduated from New York University’s Dental School at the age of 22!), but she’s the go-to orthodontist for Miss New York USA, Miss New York Teen USA, The Miss America Organization, Miss New York, the Miss New York Latina Organization, and multiple New York Cheerleading teams including the Brooklyn Nets and New York Jets. Who better to ask about keeping our teeth white? I’m a tea and coffee addict – there’s no changing it – so I was curious about what I could do to mitigate the staining effects. look at this informative post we share five foods that will make our teeth whiter and five that will contribute to staining and discoloration. Happy to say I’m noshing on almonds and drinking water while writing this…
Foods that keep your teeth white:
1. Water: Helps wash away acid and stain-causing chromagens
2. Sugar-free gum: Stimulates salivary flow, which is great at washing away stain-causing agents
3. Apples, cauliflower, and celery: Act as scrubs and keep stains from sticking to teeth. Also increase salivary flow.
4. Seeds and nuts: Not only full of protein and healthy fats, but act as gentle scrubs to remove stains
5. Milk, yogurt and cheese: Have healthy calcium to help strengthen teeth and make them less prone to cavities and staining
Foods that will stain teeth:
1. Black coffee and teas
2. Red and white wine: While red wine has more chromagens, white wine may make teeth more susceptible to staining from other agents
3. Colas or other acidic beverages
4. Berries: While berries are full of antioxidants and are great for you, they can definitely stain your teeth. Keep eating them, but definitely brush afterwards!
Taking care of your teeth is very important. Nowadays there are a variety of procedures beyond tooth whitening such, as dental implants, that can improve your overall dental health.
Thanks for the informative read! Many lessons learnt.