If you’re anything like me, you have tons of jewelry and products that don’t get used because your storage simply isn’t conducive to you seeing everything you own, so you end up picking the same items “from the top” over and over again. To find some easy solutions, I spoke with interior designer and co-owner of BoConcept Niki Cheng who knows a thing or two about making the most of our surroundings; she own five luxury furniture stores in New York City. Here’s a look at her unique tips!
How to Store Earrings and Other Small Baubles
1. Ice cube trays and egg crates (like this one for only $5.99 at World Market) are by far the most practical and inexpensive way to keep your little baubles neatly separated! Grab a few and line them next to each other in a shallow drawer for easy access.
2. If you’re looking for something a little fancier that you can place on your vanity table, try a shell-shaped deviled egg tray – like this porcelain one for only $9.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It’s great for storing individual earrings!
3. For a more colorful alternative, line up a bunch of small finger food bowls in a drawer to keep your earrings and small jewelry items tidy. These nut bowls from Fishs Eddy not only come in a variety of adorable colors, but they’re also super cheap!
How to Store Bracelets and Necklaces
1. For a convenient way to store your bracelets, I recommend getting a bracelet stand like this one for only $14.99 from The Container Store. For a DIY version, try using a clear glass soda bottle! Just place it on your countertop and start stacking on the bracelets.
2. The best way to store your jewelry is in clear, acrylic containers, drawers or storage caddies. With an acrylic jewelry storage box – like any of the ones sold inexpensively at The Container Store – you can easily see all your jewelry items at once.
3. For a slightly higher budget, I recommend a dual-purpose wall-mounted vanity mirror that doubles as a jewelry armoire – like this one on Amazon! I own one of these myself (see photo). A mirror that doubles as jewelry storage is the perfect addition to your bedroom!
How to Store Your Makeup
1. My biggest tip is to organize your makeup into two batches: essentials and non-essentials. Put all of your essentials, the makeup you tend to wear every day, in one single organized drawer. That way, you’ll never have to waste time rummaging through your date-night-only lipsticks and glimmery shadows when you’re looking for your staple, wear-to-work makeup!
2. For an inexpensive way to make your makeup drawer look instantly organized, grab a series of kitchen utensil trays or drawer dividers (I love this beautiful honeycomb shaped divider from Amazon for under $12). I like to separate makeup by category (eg. brushes, lipsticks, eyeshadows, etc.) but you can also separate by color or any other sorting system you prefer!
3. For those with a higher budget, I recommend investing in wooden trays like these Oki Trays from BoConcept for $59. These minimalist chic trays are perfect for storing makeup brushes, eye pencils and shadows, instantly decluttering a messy vanity!