Forget beat-up flannels. This isn’t the grunge plaid of the ’90s we’ve become so re-familiarized with in recent seasons. Checkered lines have taken a polished turn, so think only chic and elevated for the new season. You know how much I love floral prints; this fall, I’m treating plaid as the ultimate staple print. Yep, it’s time to get ready, but don’t panic if you’re not ready to give up on summer just yet. A couple of these bags are definitely transitional pieces, like Proenza Schouler’s PS1 and the fun, light Carven tote.
1. Proenza Schouler PS1 Medium Shoulder Bag: A soft, white-on-black palette and a versatile, wool-blend fabric: think of this as plaid for beginners. At Barneys New York for $1,780.
2. Prada Saffiano Tartan-Print Top-Handle Bag: I already fell for an earlier rendering of this pattern. Now I’m enjoying it even more in ladylike, top-handle form. Available for pre-order at Saks Fifth Avenue for $2,500 (expect shipping by October 15th).
3. Carven Black and White Plaid Canvas Tote: Perfect for extra gym clothes or heavy office days, this canvas tote can take you year-round, thanks to the floral flourish. On Forzieri for $203.
4. Giuseppe Zanotti Red And Black Plaid Mini Backpack: This one is more intense – and that’s why I like it. Go unapologetic with classic red tartan topped with toothy hardware. On Ssense for $1,195.
5. Isabel Marant Etoile Grey Plaid Wool Rusty Tote: A plush autumn tote that can almost double as a cozy blanket? This will come in handy come fall. On Ssense for $280.