“A braid is flattering on everyone, and can work for a day at the office, a night out, or your favorite music festival,” says Dove celebrity stylist, Mark Townsend. “Added bonus: your hair will have great texture when you take the braid out!” Personally I love it as a versatile gym look. A braid keeps hair out of your face while still remaining stylish and even if your locks gets a little sweaty, the look should hold up (just spritz some of this…the BEST). While I never think you can go wrong with a classic French braid, I asked Townsend to share his tips for creating a textured braid (which you can easily pin up) if you want a slightly more polished look.
1. Wash and condition hair with Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner to provide added body and fullness.
2. Towel dry hair, then spray Dove Oxygen Moisture Root Lift Spray at the roots and apply two to three pumps of Dove Oxygen Moisture Leave in Foam throughout damp hair to achieve body and light hold.
3. Rough dry hair on medium heat.
4. Once dry, flip hair over and spray a flexible hold hairspray, then flip hair back over and begin to braid as normal – a fishtail braid would work for this look too!
5. Continue until the braid is complete and secure with a clear elastic.
6. To finish the look, loosen a few pieces of hair by grabbing small sections around your crown, pulling them forward, and spraying with a flexible hold hairspray.
7. For next-day texture, remove the braid and shake hair out. Apply dry shampoo to roots and lengths to absorb oil and revive hair.